Welcome to Uforth

                      Your guide to UFO shapes, reports and photographs

           Please send in your reports or photos to me (Joe) : uforth@AOL.com

        (All names,emails etc are kept strictly private, It is important to record UFO reports so please send them in)

Home Page

Pilots report on a mid-air collision with a UFO

In the duel between man made aircraft v alien technology there has been over the years, winners and loser's.

That this pilot had this close encounter and lived to tell the story is remarkable in itself, and to what he experienced and saw is another fascinating piece of the UFO jigsaw.

I thank him not only for the report, but also for the stunning graphics.

                                                              Mid-air collision report

On a clear blue 83 degree summer Sunday, July, 1985, at about 3 PM, I was flying my camouflaged Grumman Yankee TR-2 (N1650R) from Detroit, Michigan to Columbus, Ohio.

While under Port Columbus International airport civilian radar approach control at 15 miles out and descending through 8,000 feet I was given permission to vector 30 degrees right to investigate what appeared to be a 2nd sun (sphere UFO) about 2/3 the size of a football field parked on the back side of a large cumulous cloud at about 4,000 feet and 5 miles NNW of the airport.

There was nothing on radar anywhere near that location.

Approaching the UFO at 4,000 feet level and 200 yards, it never lost it's brilliance - just like staring into the sun only now hundreds of times larger than the real sun still clearly visible above.

At this point I was completely overwhelmed with curiosity as this enormous sphere was still not showing on radar only 5 miles away and that same radar had never lost contact with my aircraft.

As U. S. Navy trained in radar I knew that this was just not possible. Anything that huge that could create or reflect light that bright and was that close to the radar should have 'blipped' like the Graf Zeppelin blimp with a full metal jacket, and yet, I was still on radar even though this sphere was now directly between me and the radar - just NOT possible!

This means that the sphere did not absorb or reflect the radar pulses - it was totally transparent to them.

This alone should give us a clue as to what the UFO's physical composition was NOT.

Given that I'm no more or less brave than any other pilot would have been in this situation, I did have one major courage advantage over most - I was wearing a parachute. So, with burning curiosity and squinting through sun glasses, I started a slow left turn into the UFO for a closer look.

It was at this point that I became truly apprehensive (scared out of my wits to be honest) of what I was about to do.

Half way through the turn all that bright light from the UFO instantly switched off revealing a huge medium grey sphere made up of millions of clearly visible perfectly flawless identical pentagon shaped translucent/opaque crystals about 6 inches long with pointed ends and all spaced identically about 1 foot apart and NOT moving.

Once I saw that the UFO was NOT solid, I made the decision (with parachute) to penetrate it with my left wing in an attempt to knock as many crystals off as possible hoping to later find on the ground for analysis.

In a hard right turn the outer third of my left wing sliced through the UFO's crystals with the sound of an intense hale storm on a tin roof.

The hundreds of contacted crystals broke cleanly over the leading edge of my wing (strange but no fragments) and I could clearly see that the severed surfaces were of a light smooth frosty texture.

At this time I could see approximately 40 to 50 feet deep into the crystals (UFO) where it became totally dense and black with nothing but the crystals.

I also noticed that those crystals my wing did NOT contact were NOT effected by the turbulence of my wing - they never moved or even quavered - another observation that was "not possible".

The illustration of the crystals below is exactly what I saw on that day.

The sound and the drag created by my wings collision with the crystals was consistent with the solid weight of ice (or the like) and caused my aircraft to cartwheel which caused a 60 degree CCW roll. I remember this because I became instantly concerned about gyro damage and then just as instantly realized how insignificant that was considering what had just happened.

As for investigations, this was on a Sunday and GATO was closed.

The only evidence would be any recordings where radar approach states that they see nothing on radar (no evidence) and all the paint and fiberglass missing from the leading edge of my outer port wing (still no evidence). I examined thoroughly looking for fragments of the UFO's crystals imbedded in the wing but found nothing.

I didn't think until much later that there might have been microscopic evidence in the fiberglass. I've been kicking myself for that ever since then.

The good news is that the wing was repaired and repainted so it is possible that microscopic fragments still exist imbedded underneath the new paint. I recently checked the "N" number and the plane is still flying and in California. I'm seriously thinking about buying it back for this reason.

I submit this only as a possible piece to the UFO puzzle, and in hope that there's someone out there who can tell me what it was that I collided with.